Monday 21 March 2011

Stuff from books..

..ie more..


Subject One: Grids








So I'm starting to look into designing my booklet for the festival and also I'm looking into how I would like to present my development work. So first call of reference was grids! Found this really old book "Grids: the structure of graphic design" (Andre Jute), in the library that actually has a floppy disc, yes a floppy disc with it. That has example of grids you can use. Had a flick through it and found some of what it said appropriate and helpful and found it interesting to see the different grid sequences it had. All were to suit an A formats of paper and I think I would like to stick to a square for my wee booklet. I'm thinking of the person who is going to pick this up, a Derry person, a tourist, young/old. I want it to be small, neat, something you would keep after the festival is over because it in itself is a nice piece of art work. 

After looking at this book, I found this other one online "Fourty-eight Posters" (Josef Mullur-Brockman) all about grids. Would love to get a hold of this book in real life but ended up finding picture on flikr it. Talk about grid systems! This book puts the other one to shame! Found it really interesting to see how complicated some grids within design are, sometimes I don't think you'd even know that much went into the layout of a poster. Even though some of the grids are really complicated the end result is really simple and beautifully laid out. So it just goes to show that the background work is worth it and pays off. Having that said I think these types of grids are a bit too complicated for my work, I just think there is so much going on already with it that it might over complicate the art work, something that I'm constantly worrying about! I think my work so far has had its own grid that comes about naturally from where I place the different elements, type, graphics etc.  
















No comments:

Post a Comment