Monday 14 February 2011

City of Culture...What's in it for yoUU??

One city, one plan, one voice?

So I went along to this meeting today at Magee, held by the city of culture team in relation to how it benefits UU. I found it was quite good, informative, it was good to hear back from the audience, about their issues/concerns with the city of culture and how it is going to effect Derry. The one issue I found that kept cropping up was one about identity. Derrys Identity. This city of culture thing is going to be putting Derry under a microscope and putting it on a platform for everyone to see. So the question is what is Derry/Londonderrys identity, what is it all about? Who knows the answer to this question? Who should I ask? Derry needs to feel secure in it's identity before it can be catapulted into this cultural arena. When outside people think of Derry, what do they think? One man at this meeting claimed it was about telling Derrys story, it's story of resilience. I think this idea is very interesting, I would love to hear people stories about Derry.

No comments:

Post a Comment