Sunday 13 February 2011

Research: Posters

Here is a selection of the type of posters I have been looking at. I always find myself drawn to two very different types of design, really clean, sleek, bold design or very, what I would call gritty, dated looking design. I really like both styles and think when used right and in the right context they work really well.

This is where I am now having trouble, what is my design style? Do I need a style? As a designer should I not have an understanding of all different types of design styles, so as to cater to my clients needs? Should I be worrying about this now? I think the work I produce is always quite restricted/ridged/safe too controlled but still nice/ok. I think this stems from my year on placement, we were constantly told to "pull it back", "that's too out there", etc. And now I feel I am having trouble with just letting go and enjoying the freedom I have now to design what I want, how I want. Styles come and go, one day they're in the next day they're out, cliche, over used. I want to figure out a style for this project that is contextually appropriate to Derry city and the needs of the Derry people and I think this is what is holding me back, I am finding a brick wall, I don't know what kind of style would work best.

I am going to start with more research into type and photography. I think I'm leaning more towards a gritty, hand drawn, dated kind of style. So we'll see?!

Don't know if that rant makes much sense but I do think it's helped me figure out a few things and I feel more motivated to get stuck in now...






















No comments:

Post a Comment