Friday 18 February 2011

The familiar that's goes unnoticed

Here are some photographs from a guy called Sherif Elhage. This photographer uses no corrective method to his photography, no photoshop, no tweaking what-so-ever. I really like his photos, like mine he is taking pictures of everyday surroundings and gets the viewer to take more notice of these common places. I love taking pictures of things that people wouldn't normally take notice of. I do tweak mine however! For a lot of my photography I have changed them to black and white, I just feel they look better and will work better with my typography this way. I do want to experiment with colour photos as well.

"Sherif seeks to play with the human eye rather than address traditional methods of iconography; his photographs break scenographic conjunctions through optical trickery and a combination of inventive minimalism."

http://www.sherifshot.com/














Otto Steinert


Harry Callahan




The photos above are from a photographer called Harry Callahan. He too would just go out, walk the city he lived in and take photographs. I think these are lovely even though there's nothing really going on in them. 

When I'm taking my photographs, I'm not just pointing and shooting. I am constantly looking at the familiar that's goes unnoticed. But then within these shots I am looking at composition, light and darkness, line and form. I want these photos to be interesting and make people see what's right in front of them everyday and go "oh is that that place down there by the bridge that we always drive past, looks different/nice" or "never noticed that there before". I think these kind of places exist in ever city and people don't notice them all the time. I want to use this type of photography in my project because I think the point of a festival like this is not only to celebrate and showcase the talent in this city but to showcase the city itself and I think these photos show in a very different way that this city is beautiful/interesting/different/worth a look.


No comments:

Post a Comment