Friday 18 February 2011

Street Photography Now Project

Came across this website that has a really nice concept involving anyone and everyone in street photography. It is a collaboration between The Photographers' Gallery, London and Sophie Howarth and Stephen McLaren. The idea is that every week a leading contemporary street photographer will put up instructions, written to inspire fresh ways of looking at and documenting the world we live in. The project started in October 2010 and will run for 52 weeks. Anyone can then upload their photographs to a Flikr group for that particular instruction.

Some of the instructions include...

"Be aware of the way the camera compresses a three dimensional world into a two dimensional plane and use that to your advantage."
Nick Turpin

Some examples from Nick







This photography is not exactly like the photography I'm exploring but still think its really interesting and good to look at what other people around the world are looking at. Seeing how other people interpret these instructions, explore them and execute their concepts.

Some other instructions include...

"Slow down, the next picture may be very quiet and close"
Bruno Quinquet



"Explore the banalities of the new urban landscape"
George Georgiou



"Take pictures where you're not comfortable, where you feel exposed, threatened, or morally on the wrong side"
Mirko Martin






Sometimes I don't feel comfortable when out taking my photographs, I'm obviously not taking the "normal" picturesque photos and people notice that. I can see them looking at me and then where I'm pointing the camera and they look at me like I'm not all there!  What is she taking a picture of? When I was down at the craigavon bridge during the week I could see all the people in the their cars just looking at me thinking I was nuts. A bit uncomfortable but I just kept on snapping and eventually I'm so into looking for the shot and getting it that I don't even notice.

"Wander aimlessly most of the time"
Melanie Einzig


"Photograph like an assassin; suddenly and silently."
Osamu Kanemura


"On your knees take a picture from floor level"
Matt Stuart








Really like the last instruction I've posted, might give it a go myself next time I go out with the camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment